Being positive to support your child is critical to their development while swimming. Positive parenting includes
- Your child needs your emotional, physical, and financial support. Be liberal in providing this support.
- Support but do not push your child.
- Be realistic in terms of expectations; factor in age and skill level; be aware of your child’s perception of your expectations.
- Emphasise performance and effort, not just outcome. The athlete only has control over his/her performance. Define and measure success as giving maximal effort and as personal improvement.
- Keep winning in perspective.
- Do not bribe.
- Give plenty of encouraging and rewarding statements. Criticize sparingly.
- View swimming as an arena in which to teach your child about commitment, hard work and discipline.
- Work to form an effective Coach-Athlete-Parent Triangle.